In the Curly Girl Method, we avoid harsh Sulfates and drying Alcohols (they dehydrate the hair), Silicones, Waxes and Mineral Oils (they build up).
Is alcohol bad for curls?
Some alcohol can be very drying to our delicate curls, and others not so much. For instance, isopropyl alcohol is drying and harsh to our natural hair. … Constant use of this ingredient can leave your hair very dry, frizzy, and dull. On the other hand, some alcohols help with moisture and manageability of our hair.
Which alcohol is bad for curly hair?
Some of the most common short-chain alcohols that you will find in hair care products are ethanol, SD alcohol, denatured alcohol, propanol, propyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol – these are the ones it’s best to avoid.
What alcohols are not curly girls?
Drying Alcohols to Avoid in CG Method
- Isopropyl alcohol (also called IPA)
- Denatured alcohol ( denat )
- Propyl alcohol.
- SD alcohol 40.
What alcohols are good for curly hair?
There ARE, however, certain types of alcohols that are actually good for the hair. These are what give that creamy consistency to most conditioners. The good ones are Lauryl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, Myristyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol and Behenyl alcohol.
What prevents Curly Girl Method?
Ingredients to Avoid in CG Method
- Sodium Laureth, Myreth, or Lauryl Sulfate.
- Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate.
- Ammonium Laureth or Lauryl Sulfate.
- Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate.
- Alkyl Benzene Sulfonate.
- Ammonium or Sodium Xylenesulfonate.
- Ethyl PEG-15 Cocamine Sulfate.
What does alcohol do to curly hair?
Because alcohol can dry out your hair, especially if you have curls. Curly hair is often drier than average, so you better watch out for that. Because nobody wants dry hair and fluff!
What is a drying alcohol?
Dryness is a property of beverages that describes the lack of a sweet taste. … In a dry martini, “dry” originally referred to the inclusion of dry gin, however it is often incorrectly used to refer to the amount of vermouth used in the drink.
What alcohol is safe hair?
Hair products containing long-chain alcohols such as lauryl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, myristyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, & behenyl alcohol will moisturize, protect, & hydrate the hair while locking the moisture in.
Which alcohol is OK in hair products?
The most common fatty alcohols that you will find in your hair products and which hydrate and which are highly beneficial to your hair are: lauryl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, myristyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol and behenyl alcohol. In conclusion, the answer is yes!
What ingredients are bad for curly hair?
Chemicals to Avoid in Curly Hair Products
- Parabens. Parabens are used in a lot of hair products to prevent and stop the growth of bacteria in your hair. …
- Triethanolamine. Triethanolamine is commonly referred to as TEA; it is incorporated in hair products to adjust their pH value. …
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. …
What is bad for curly hair?
BAD ALCOHOL – Naturally curly hair has a hard time staying moisturized and bouncy. Example alcohols are Ethanol Alcohol, Ethyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Isopropanol Alcohol and much more. These can found in some of your favorite commercial products and can wreck havoc on your curls.
What ingredients are good for curly hair?
Choosing the Best Ingredients for Your Curly Hair
- Organic Argan Oil for Curly Hair. …
- Glycerin for Curly Hair. …
- Coconut Oil for Curly Hair. …
- Abyssinian Seed Oil for Curly Hair. …
- Castor oil for curly hair. …
- Choose sulfate-free. …
- Choose paraben-free. …
- Learn more about Alcohol.
What products are curly girl approved?
8 Curly Girl Method Approved Hair Products
- Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Avocado Hydrating Shampoo. …
- Ouidad Curl Immersion No-Lather Coconut Cream Cleansing Conditioner. …
- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque. …
- Shrub Curl Defining Cream. …
- Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo.
What shampoos are curly girl approved?
Affordable Curly Girl Approved Shampoos
- Cantu Cleansing Cream Shampoo.
- Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Shampoo.
- TXTR by Cantu Soothing Shampoo.
- Suave Essentials Tropical Coconut Conditioner.
- Tresemme Botanique, Nourish and Replenish.
- Not Your Mothers Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower and Mango Butter Curl Defining Conditioner.
Does alcohol help in hair growth?
As mentioned above, alcohol does not directly cause hair loss, but it does cause other issues that lead to hair loss. In the case of binge drinking, you can experience extreme dehydration, which will dry out your hair follicles and, over time, cause hair thinning.